Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Self-control

"But I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:27

My greatest challenge when it comes to self-control is my gluttonous attitude. Yes, I preach the Word of God and yet I commit one of the seven deadly sins which is gluttony. I have a tendency to over eat and I just can't stop eating! Before I used to justify this habit by saying I was being deprived of what I really want to eat because my Mom was in-charge of the kitchen and she doesn't cook very well. But now that she is sick and I am the master chef, I realized that I just can't leave my mouth idle. I have to munch on something! All the time! 


Self-restraint should extend to all areas of life. For the believer, temperance or moderation, does not come from sheer human willpower. It comes from the Holy Spirit who gives us self-control. Self-control is the Spirit-produced quality that enables us to be temperate or moderate in all things. Over-indulgence in food, rest, work, recreation, ministry, and a variety of "good things" can be corrected only through the balance of self-control. To gain self-control, give the Spirit control. The only preparation for tomorrow is the right use of today. 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; Galatians 5:22-23




No comments:

Post a Comment